Monday 2 April 2012

A Second Try at Blogging

When Alyssa was about a year and a half I tried blogging.  I blogged a few posts but then lost interest.  I am enjoying reading other people's blog's so I decided to try again.  I am creating this blog as a place to journal the ramblings of our life.  Having two young kids, keeps me busy and keeps me entertained.  So I thought maybe you would be interested in hearing about our life's happenings. 

I would also like a place to be able to share my faith and how it has grown in the last few years.  God has been so good to me and has been so faithful.  It's been a fun journey and I would like to be able to look back at it in the coming years and recount how far I have grown in Christ.

My litte family is just the perfect family for me.  It is the way I dreamed it would be when I was a little girl; only wanting to be a mommy. 

Alyssa is my sweet, blond haired, spirited five year old.  From day one she has always been a textbook kind of baby with a touch of spirit in her.  She is a rule-follower and wants to please people (just like her momma) but she has a touch of spirit in her that keeps us on her toes.  She has such a sweet, caring, generous spirit.  She is very energetic and goes from morning to night but then sleeps hard.  She gave up naps fairly early at the age of 2.5 and since then i can only remember a few times where she has given in and fell asleep midday.  She loves people and needs to be around people all the time.  I remember her being 17 months old and banging on the door with her shoes if we hadn't left the house yet that day.  So she set the tone for our days of me being a stay at home mom.  Almost every morning we go out....we go to playdates, playgyms, church, preschool, shopping, the library etc etc etc.  Then we come home to lunch and quiet time (nap time for Lucas and sometimes me).  Later in the afternoon she is often outside again playing with her friends.  Her love language is defiantely quality time.  She excels when we give her our undivided attention.  When her attitude starts sneaking back up, or her behavior starts going downhill I often know she needs some mommy or daddy time.  An afternoon with just mom at the movies, or a date out for dinner, or a daddy date swimming, will work wonders to get her back on track.  She lives for her mommy or daddy dates and talks about them all the time.   She also needs alone time with us at home, so often one of us will take her up to our room to watch a show before bedtime.  She lights up like a christmas tree when we suggest quiet time in mommy and daddy's room.  I think her second love language is giving/reciving gifts.  She loves loves loves wrapping and giving gifts to anyone and everyone.  At Christmas she is in heaven wrapping gifts to put under the tree.  All of these gifts we have already seen before; maybe a book for daddy, or pajamas for mommy, or Lucas favorite toy.  She loves finding the perfect gift for us.  For my birthday Alyssa wrapped up my kindle, pajamas, my bra, and my favorite purple shirt.  I was looking all over the house for my kindle the day before my birthday.  When I asked Alyssa where my kindle was she just said "you need to wait until tomorrow...." She is often wrapping up gifts for her friends, and neighbors.  She likes giving away her books because maybe her friend hasn't read it before.  She is such a sweetheart. 

Lucas is my laid-back, relaxed, joyful little boy. He has brought so much joy to our family that I can't imagine life without him.  He is the most contented little boy.  He ate well, slept well and never needed settling as a baby.  I never offered him a soother because he was never upset.  He would lay on the floor for hours just watching his big sister.  Our parenting styles have been very different in regards to sleep with both kids.  With Alyssa we had to let her cry to teach herself how to put herself to sleep.  With Lucas if he is crying, something is wrong.  He won't stop crying until that problem is fixed.  Overall, he has been a very easy baby and an easy toddler....although he is testing some boundries lately and is letting us know when we are making him mad (but what toddler doesn't do this).  We haven't (knock on wood) had any major tantrums yet.  If you walk away when he is mad and crying he will usually come after you looking for a hug and a shoulder to cuddle on.  Which leads me to Lucas' love language.  Lucas thrives on touch.  He is a cuddler through and through.  Every morning and after nap, he needs to cuddle on the couch for about 20 minutes before he is ready to get up and face the day.  We still cuddle him before bed and nap with a bottle.  He needs to take your face in his little hands and give kisses before we can put him in his crib.  He will often come up to me during the day and ask to be picked up, and he will just lay his little head on my shoulder for a good few minutes before he is ready to move on.  When he sees Alyssa after a time away (like preschool), he runs full force into her to give her a hug....each and every time.  He will often take his blankie to Alyssa and just want to cuddle with her.  Lucas is starting to get more and more independant.  So far he has never really fought being held or being in a cart.  He is happy to sit back and watch what is going on.  Just this week he has started putting up little fights when you have to secure him in a cart or the stroller.  He wants to walk just like his big sister.  Tonight we went for a walk around the block.  I put him in the wagon, which he usually loves, and he wanted nothing to do with sitting in the wagon.  He wanted to pull the wagon and walk alongside us.  He is such a sweet little guy.  As long as you keep him fed and he has had enough sleep he is the sweetest little boy.  If he gets overtired or is sick he can get a little agressive (he likes to head butt and hit when he is not feeling good or tired) but usually a nap or some Children's Advil will bring my sweet little guy back.  He is quite different from his sister, in that, he enjoys being at home all the time.  He is quite happy to play on his own for hours with his trains or his cars etc.  He keeps himself entertained all the time and we have to make an effort to get down on the floor and play with him as he just doesn't demand it from us (like his sister did and still does). 

Lucas and Alyssa adore each other.  I have never seen any jealousy between them.  From day one Alyssa accepted Lucas into our lives with open arms.  She watches over him with such a motherly eye that I find I sometimes trust her too much and have to remember that she is only five.  Lucas adores his big sister something fierce.  Wherever she is, he has to be by her side doing what she is doing.  The love between them is something that I can't even describe.  I feel honored to get to view this love between them.  I am so grateful that we gave Alyssa a sibling.   (Just to be clear, although they do love each other, they are still sibling and still do have their moments of fighting). 

I am so thankful that Matt chose me (and I chose him) to be his wife.  I love him more than words can ever express.  The last 13 years (9 1/2 years married) have been the best years of my life.  He is my everything.  Sometimes life can be tough, but when it is, all I can think about is that I wouldn't want to do life with anyone but him.  He is my rock.  He works so hard for our family so I can be privlidged to stay home with my littles.  He continues to succeed at work and I am so proud of the man that he is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment