Friday 13 April 2012

My Favorite Place

I have one piece of valuable furniture.  It may not be valuable in terms of its worth in money. But, let me tell you it is a very valuable piece of furniture in our home.  It is my......rocking chair.


It may not look like anything of worth to you.  But, to me its worth is priceless. 

This is the place where I have longed to meet my children.


While my children were still in my belly, I would sit here for hours rocking back and forth, dreaming about the moments I would have with them.  I spent a lot of time, especially in the later stages of pregnancy with Alyssa, just being with my baby in her room.  It was where I longed to be after a days work. 

Then when Alyssa was born, we spent a lot of time rocking in that chair.  I usually didn't rock Alyssa to sleep, but when she needed to be calmed down this is where we went.  We retreated to the calmness and darkness of her room.  Just me and her rocking away.  This is where I bonded with my children.  This is where I felt closest to them. 

Both Lucas and Alyssa always had a bottle before naps and before bed.  They usually wouldn't fall asleep while they had there bottle.  But it was where they relaxed and I relaxed after a day of playing.  They would look up at me with their drowsy eyes, one hand touching my face and the other hand holding their beloved blankie.  They both loved to play with my shirt, or rub my face or Lucas would (and still does) likes to close my eyes if I happen to open them.  The calmness of their room, with them in my arms, soothes my soul. 


For about the last year I have been seeking God fully and whole heartedly.  I have made it my habit, that while I am rocking Lucas, before nap and before bed that I am always praying to my Father.  As soon as I start praying, sometimes out loud but most of the time to myself, Lucas'  body relaxes even more into me.  I know he feels the Holy Spirit, just as I do when I call out to Jesus.  I pray for my sweet children, I pray that they come to know the Lord at a young age (Alyssa was only 2 1/2 when she asked Jesus into her heart), I pray for our family, I pray for our marriage, I pray for people that I know that have asked for prayer, I pray for our future,  I pray for direction, for wisdom, for patience.  I pray for whatever is on my mind and then I start to thank God for all he has done and is doing in our lives.  Sometimes, I don't even have words I just wait to hear and feel the blessing of God.  I wait to hear his quiet voice.  I wait to feel his gentle presence.  I wait for him. 

Oh how I love those two times of day.  Lucas usually finishes his bottle, I then put him up to my shoulder where he relaxes a little more.  He usually reaches for my face and strokes it lovingly and then when he is ready, he takes his sweet little hands and cups my face and gives me a kiss good night.  I then know, he is ready to go into his crib and peacefully with the Lord's presence fall into a nice, deep sleep.  As I stand up to lift him into his crib, I feel refreshed.  I feel renewed.  God's spirit  has once again filled me up.

Alyssa and I also have a sweet bedtime routine.  I usually read her a story (lately though, she has been wanting to hear about stories from my childhood), we sometimes sing Jesus Love Me and then we pray. Sometimes she wants to pray and my heart absolutely melts to see her close her eyes and talk to God.  She usually prays for mostly the same things; sweet dreams, good sleep, thanking God for her brother and her mom and dad.  But, sometimes she surprises me with such heartfelt prayers that it brings tears to my eyes.  Like praying for her friends to accept Jesus into their hearts or praying for all the sick kids in the hospital and thanking God that she is healthy.  And then I usually ask her for any more prayer requests and I get to spend a few minutes holding Alyssa's hand and praying for her and with her.  Bedtime is a precious time for me and I never want to forget these precious moments with my children (hence, this blog.)

Anyway, so I can't imagine ever getting rid of this rocking chair.  This rocking chair that I have spent endless hours with my children before sleep.  This rocking chair that I have spent through the nights of sickness with my little ones.  This rocking chair where I feel the presence of God.  I haven't fully decided where this rocking chair will end up once Lucas is done being rocked, but I am leaning towards our bedroom so I can still feel the calmness this chair brings.  I imagine myself old, wrinkly, grey haired rocking back and forth in this precious rocking chair, remembering all the special moments that I have spent with my children in it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment