Tuesday 17 April 2012

I Love to Shop

I have always loved to shop.  I remember going shopping with my mom and being so excited when I would get a new shirt or a new pair of shoes or even better....both.  I remember going shopping with my Auntie Wendy.  For a couple of summers my Grandpa Mike (oh I wish my kids could have met my Grandpa Mike) would take me and my sister to Winnipeg to visit with my aunts and cousins. The whole time we were there we would spend most of our time shopping.  My grandpa would sit out on the benches when we would be browsing in the stores....when he would see us coming he would start pulling out his wallet.  Then when we got home, the fashion show began.  So much fun. 

Anyway in the last few years I have really been cutting down on shopping.  I really do not shop to at all very often.  Maybe its because I am not happy with my size or maybe its because we have to stretch our money for me to be able to stay home.  Whatever the reason, I really only shop for the kids when they need something or occasionally I will stop in at Old Navy and pick up something for myself.  But I am still a shopper at heart.

So as the weather is trying to warm up... I realized that Lucas doesn't have too many t-shirts that still fit him. (I can't believe it but I am already buying him size 3T and size 7 shoes). So I left Matt with the kids last night and got to do some shopping for Lucas all by myself.  I didn't really do any shopping for Alyssa as she already has a pretty good start on her spring/summer clothes but I did promise her that I would take her to Zellers today so she could pick out an outfit....or two. 

First thing this morning, I wake up to Alyssa asking "Is today the day we get to go shopping....mom?"  I replied that, "Yes, we could go shopping, but let's have breakfast first."  Before I could even get downstairs with Lucas, she was already dressed, teeth brushed, hair done and had breakfast on the table for all three of us.  She was a little excited.  And I loved feeling her excitement.  I know that feeling well.  The feeling of joy in getting to buy something new. 

We were ready and off before 9am, which is pretty good for us; considering the kids don't ususally get up until 7:30 or 8am.  The whole way there she kept asking what she could buy.  I explained that she could have an outfit or two and maybe some flip flops. 

When we got to Zellers (we are still shopping on a budget), we were both very happy to find some sales.  All of the shoewear was BOGO (buy one, get one half off).  Alyssa had so much fun trying on shoes and Lucas was pretty good about letting me try on some sandals and runners on him.  Then when we got to the girl's section....I was very excited to see that they had some good sales on as well. 

I was pretty proud of myself, I didn't show Alyssa what I thought she should get.  I just let her "shop" on her own.  I wanted to see what she would choose.  She was so adorable, reaching up into the stack of clothes looking for her size 6.  Taking it out, and putting it against her body to see if it would fit.  Looking to see if she could find a skirt that would match.  Then going to the mirror and seeing if it would all look good together.  Then coming to me with her goods and asking if this was okay and if it cost too much.  I was in awe as I stood back and watched my little preschooler turn into a big girl with her own likes and dislikes, right before my eyes.  I could see the joy in her eyes as I let her make her own decisions and let her choose what she wanted.  She looked so old as she marched in and out of the racks, deciding what the best option would be.  She ended up with two outfits and a bathing suit (a one piece so Daddy would like it).

We were then off to the boys section to look at hats.  Lucas wasn't very good about wearing hats last year but thankfully wore all of his touque's really well this winter.  But, whenever I try to get him to try on hats he is always yanking them right off of his head.  As we turned the corner though, and he saw Alyssa looking at hats he "needed" out of the cart.  I put him down and he went right to a Thomas the Tank Engine conductor style hat and placed it right on his head.  I tried getting it off and trying on different ones as it sure wasn't my first choice.  But, no he wanted that Thomas hat to stay on his little head and he was going to get that hat.  I guess my little guy already too has an opinion of what he likes and doesn't like.  Hats were not a battle I was going to pick though; if he likes a certain hat and will wear it all summer without taking it off, then I figure I can put up with a Thomas hat. 

We walked in the door, and Alyssa ran up to her room and came down to model one of her outfits, just like I used to do.  She twisted and twirled around, so proud of herself and the outfits she had chosen.  It was like watching a little me, spin around and asking my daddy, "Do I look pretty?".  And boy, does Alyssa ever look pretty to me as she grows into a big girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment