Sunday 8 April 2012

Lucas' Birth Story

Alyssa made me a mom, but Lucas made me a joyful mom. 

When Alyssa was around 2 1/2 we started dreaming about expanding our family.  I got pregnant again quickly, (the second month of trying).  But unfortunately on July 9, 2009 I had an ectopic pregnancy and lost that sweet baby whom is now waiting for me in heaven. 

As soon as I was physically and emotionally ready, we started trying again.  Again, after only two months of trying we were pregnant again!!!!  Matt was in Houston in the middle of October 2009.  I came downstairs and was on the computer.  I felt the need to pray so I remember praying on the basement floor.  I just felt God telling me that I was with child again.  It was around 11pm on October 15, 2009 when I jumped up and ran to the bathroom to take a pregnancy test.  And it was positive.  Oh,  happy day.  I was so excited.  I remember calling Matt, who was in Houston, and telling him over the phone.  I was just so excited that I couldn't wait another minute to tell him.  He was super excited too, but we were both a little scared as we couldn't imagine losing another baby. 

I remember praying that night that fear would leave my body and that I would be able to experience this pregnancy with as much joy as I had with Alyssa's.  At that moment, the fear left.  Praise God.  And the next morning I called everyone I knew, just as I had with Alyssa, to tell them I was pregnant.  I was not going to let fear control this pregnancy.  I just knew it was all going to be okay and that in nine months I was going to deliver a healthy baby. 

In February, we found out we were having a baby boy.  I couldn't believe it.  We were going to have the perfect little family.  Matt was thrilled as he had always dreamed of having a little boy. 

My pregnancy progressed perfectly. 

At around 35 weeks I started contracting regularly.  The contractions were coming every few minutes and they were coming hard.  Matt took me to the hospital, where they confirmed that I was in fact contracting.  They gave me a steroid shot for Lucas' lungs and kept me overnight.  My cervix did change but thankfully the contractions stopped early the following morning.  Lucas was going to hang on a little longer.  Through the next few weeks, I had a few more hospital visits with painful contractions.  But thankfully, each time they stopped. 

When I was 37 weeks 2 days pregnant.  I woke up at 8am to a "pop" and a gush of fluid.  I ran to the bathroom only to realize that my water had broked.  It was Monday, June 7, 2010.  I called Matt and he came home to pick me up.  Thankfully, my mom had come a week earlier as we just knew this baby was coming early. 

We drove to the hospital and got taken up to the labor and delivery room.  I wasn't in active labor yet, but because my water  had broken and because Alyssa came so fast, they decided to keep me in the hospital as they figured that once my labor started it was going to happen fast and they wanted me to make it to the hospital.  So I got set up in a room and I just relaxed the rest of the day.  Matt brought me some books and magazines and we just read and enjoyed our time together.  Around midnight, contractions started but they were only 10 minutes apart and i could kind of still sleep through them.  It lasted all night but wasn't too bad.  In the morning, I was still contracting but it wasn't too bad.  I could breathe through them.  Around 11am, the delivery nurses came and got me.  At this point I had had ruptured membranes for more than 24 hours so I need to deliver.  At 11:10am they started me on pitocin, as I was only 3cm dialted and they wanted labor to progress.  I got an epidural at this time.  From 11:30am to 2:00pm I just slept off and on.  At 2:00pm the nurse checked me and I was only 4cm.  I was a little discouraged that it wasn't happening that fast.  But then at 2:10pm, ten minutes later I felt PRESSURE and my body started to push.  I yelled for Matt to get the nurse.  She came back in and checked me again.  I was fully dialated.  I went from 4cm to 10 cm in 10 minutes.  She asked me to push, which my body was already doing and then she screamed for me to stop pushing as he was coming now.  She called for Dr. Chua and told me not to push.  He arrived at 2:20pm and Lucas was born at 2:21pm on Tuesday, June 8, 2010.

I had had a tough time with postpartem depression after Alyssa was born so I prayed and I prayed and I prayed.  I prayed for joy.  I prayed that I would never have those feelings again.  And when Lucas was born, God answered my prayers.  I have never felt so much joy in all my life.  When they put him on my chest, the tears just poured down my face.  I couldn't believe how beautiful he was.  Alyssa made me a mom, which I am so thankful for.  But Lucas made me a joyful mom, which I am even more thankful for. 




They took him to the scale to weigh and measure him.  He was 6lbs 8oz and 19 3/4 inches long.



Once again, I fell in love with Matt all over again as they handed our son to my husband.  The joy, the excitement, the love was written all over his face. 









We were complete.  Lucas completed our family. 

We moved up to a theme room around 3:30pm and by 4pm Grandma was on her way with an excited little Alyssa. 

I was so excited to introduce Lucas to Alyssa.  She wanted this baby just as much as Matt and I did.  She was beaming from head to toe when she walked into our room.  I have never seen her so proud as when she got to hold her baby brother for the first time.




1 comment: