Wednesday 9 May 2012

A Little Surgery

Back at the beginning of October I noticed a little bump on Alyssa forehead; right in the middle.  I thought it was kind of weird but didn't think too much of it.  It was kind of like a pimple; a little bigger maybe and it never got a head on it.  Every couple of weeks it would swell up and become purple but then the swelling would go down and it would go back to its normal size.  So of course I took her to her pediatrian.  He said it was a sebaceous cyst and it had to be removed by a plastic surgeon.  I was totally taken aback as I didn't think she would need to have surgery.

Anyway we met with the plastic surgeon in January and he told us the same thing.  It was a benign cyst that had just grown there.  It wouldn't go away on its own and it would continue to grow so she needed to have it removed.  Because of her age she needed to be sedated and it would have to take place at a hospital.

Really...wow...I wasn't expecting that. 

So February 29th came and it was surgery day.  Thankfully Matt made sure he was in town and he took the day off.  I got a babysitter for Lucas as we had no idea how long we would be at the hospital for. 

Alyssa was TERRIFIED and I have to admit that I was feeling pretty anxious too.  I knew that it was an easy surgery and that she would only be sedated for less than thirty minutes.  But, it was my baby girl they were taking into surgery. 

I give ALL the credit to parents with sick children.  I have no idea how they do it.  Our minor, little surgery was more than enough for me. 

She looks so scared here.

Daddy trying to comfort her and trying to distract her with her Leap Pad.  (Have I told you what a great husband I have.  I couldn't have picked a better father for my kids. )

I was able to go back into the operating room with her.  I stayed by her side, praying with her until she was asleep. 


The last picture was just after she returned from surgery.  They said she had no problems waking up from the anesthetic (I was on call in case they needed me in the recovery room).  She was pretty groggy and really pale.  I did not like seeing her this way and have to admit that I shed a few tears.  Tears of happiness to see her and tears of please make her feel better soon. 

Once she woke up a little bit, they gave her some juice and a popscicle.  She had no problem eating and drinking so they let us go home. 

On the car ride home though, she threw up.  This was her first time ever throwing up (I am not kidding, other than spitting up as a baby, she has never thrown up.  She has gotten the same stomach flu that I have had or Lucas has had but she will only get the diarrhea part of it). So this was a little traumatic for Alyssa as she really didn't know what was happening.

Anyway, we got her home and the hardest part of the day was trying to get her to rest.  She just wanted to go...go...go.  She wanted to play outside and she didn't understand why she had to miss gymnastics.  So needless to say, she was fine within minutes of waking up. 

That being said, though, I don't really want to go though that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment