Wednesday 23 May 2012

Life This Week

Yesterday it was pouring rain. I was tired from a restless sleep (the wind drives me batty at times). I wanted to stay inside and have a pajama day. Alyssa had other ideas though. She wanted to go for a walk. I tried explaining that it was cold and wet; that it was raining. She looked right at me and said, "but mom, if we stayed in on every bad day, we would always be at home."

So we called a friend and went for a walk in the rain.

I really enjoyed myself as did the kids. The wind had died down and i wasn't too cold. Seeing five kids running down the path with their little umbrella's bobbing as they ran, warmed my heart. (Unfortunately my camera battery had died as it really was a perfect picture.) Lucas had a blast; keeping up with the older kids and jumping in puddles. He held his little mickey mouse umbrella just like the big kids and had so much fun.

So once again I learned a valuable lesson from my daughter.  You can always find joy in life even on the cold, ugly days.

Today, we went to the John Deer store to get a few small tractors for Lucas' birthday present.  My little boy lit up like a christas tree. He was almost shaking with excitement. "Whoa.......whoa......whoa.......that....that......whoa." He was pointing at all the big tractors, with wide eyes and such whole hearted excitement. He would put his sweet little hands on a tire and then bend down as if he was really inspecting that tire. So sweet.  Trucks, trains, and tractors really are ingrained in a little boy's heart.

After the John Deer store we met some friends at the John Janzen Nature Centre and the kids had a blast playing and letting their imaginations run wild.

This week I had two situations occur that really showed me how attached kids can get to their things.

The first was regarding Alyssa's play kitchen. She came to me a few weeks ago and said how much she wanted to get Lucas a play workbench for his birthday. I explained that i thought that that was a good idea but that we were running out of room in the basement and that if she wanted to get him that she would haveto donate her play kitchen to a kid that needed it more than she did. She agreed. This weekend a lady came to pick up the kitchenand she was okay with it. But, then bedtime arrived and so did the tears. She was genuinly sad that she had to donate her kitchen. I just laid with her in her bed and held her while she cried. As i explained to Matt later, sometimes a girl just needs to be held while she cries. Alyssa wanted me to call Miss Leslie so bad and get that kitchen back. I calmly explained that we couldn't do that. She cried and cried and cried some more. My heart broke for her. I so wanted to get that kitchen back for her, but, I knew she needed to learn this lesson. If we give something to someone we can't take it back. The next morning thoug, life went on as normal and she hasn't brought the kitchen up again. Whew....we made it through that storm.

The second situation was with our ten year old neighbor. He has this toddler ride on toy that Lucas loves. It is perfect for Lucas and he rides up and down the sidewalk just like the big kids. I offered to buy it off Sam as they no longer use it. He was adement that no, he wasn't selling it. It was his since he was a baby and he was not getting rid of it. I was okay with that and didn't push it. It just surprised me that a 10 year old could be so attached to a toy.

Anyway, I should get going. Lucas is calling from his crib. He just woke up from his nap.

Happy Wednesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment