Tuesday 25 September 2012

The Changes In Cell Phones

I got a new cell phone yesterday and I was amazed at how much different this one is compared to my old one. Two years makes a huge difference in the life of a cell phone.

I got my first cell phone when I was about 16 or 17. It was my dad's old phone and it was huge. It was basically, maybe even bigger than a house phone. I was given it strictly for emergancies and so my parents could contact me whenever they wanted. I remember quite clearly how short the battery life span was. Sometimes it didn't
even make it through the evening.

I don't remember having a cell phone when I was in college.

When we moved to Edmonton I got a cell phone for emergancies again and this one I used prepaid minutes. I remember calling Matt alot on that phone, usually to tell him I was lost in this big city of Edmonton and that I needed help finding my way home.

After a few years, we finally both signed a contract and got 'real' cell phones. I still remember quite clearly how excited both of us where to get these new cell phones. We were on a plan that allowed us to call each other free and we took advantage of that. These phones were tiny, flip phones.

Three years later, our contract was up and I got to upgrade to a pretty, small purple phone.

A few years later, texting was starting so I got a phone where you could pull out the bottom so you could text easier. That phone was black and was a little bigger.

Then, the touch screens and I Phones came out. I stayed with my trusty Samsung that I had had so much luck with. And I officially became an android user even though I had no idea what that meant.

Fast forward to today....I have a brand new Samsung Galaxy SIII 32GB and I love it, as I have loved all my new cell phones. It is bigger than my last tough screen but so much faster and has so much more memory.

Sixteen years ago, I would have never thought that I would be using words like 'syncing' or 'data plans' or 'texting'. But, here I am just trying to keep up with all the new technology that changes by the minute.

It makes me wonder where we will be in another sixteen years.

No comments:

Post a Comment