Sunday 3 June 2012

Rollercoaster Ride

I have always been absolutely TERRIFIED of rollercoasters, well rides in general.  I have never really gone on a rollercoaster.  Well, actually I have gone on a rollercoaster at Disneyland but it wasn't quite the same.  It was kind of like being on a train with some big dips and curves etc.  I have never been on a BIG rollercoaster with loops and force and speed etc. 

God had been working in my heart that I needed to conquer this fear.  I needed to step out in faith and trust in the Lord that I could do it.  "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." Phil 4:13.  So, as well as a physical fear I needed to overcome; it also became a spiritual fear that needed overcoming as well. 

So one night, I couldn't sleep because this was on my heart so I sent out this email to a few ladies that have walked with me during my spiritual journey. 

"I can't actually believe that I am writing you guys this email but God has been placing this on my heart for awhile.  Each of you have been insturmental in helping me grow my faith and grow closer to Jesus.  Each of you have helped me become a better me and a better mom.  I have never really gone on a rollercoaster before (besides one at Disneyland).  I am terrified of them.  But, before I leave Edmonton I feel that I need to conquer my fear and ride the roller coaster at West Edmonton Mall.  I am TERRIFIED.  I am asking each of you to come with me (if you choose not to ride that's totally okay but please just come) to support me over this fear.  This is a physical fear but I think it also symbolizes some spirtual fear.  As each of you have been so insturmental in so many ways I am asking that you would please come and support me.  In fact, you may have to literally push me on that darn rollercoaster.  My stomach is in knots writing this but I know that it needs to be done.  So I was kind of thinking that maybe we could meet one evening around 5 at the mall and conquer this fear and then we could celebrate by going out for dinner or something.  What do you think?"

So by some miracle, all of us could meet at WEM on Saturday, June 2.  And another miracle was that Matt was in town and he wanted to be there to support me as well. 

When I turned the corner, last night, and saw the rollercoaster; everything in me told me to run.  Fear tried to come on me.  But, I was stronger.  I just started praying. 

All the way up, I had peace.  I didn't feel sick or claustrophobic or scared; the way that I thought I would feel.  As we went over the edge and I felt the force, I started screaming.  All I could yell was "Jesus," over and over and over again.  As the ride ended and I opened my eyes, tears were shed as I was so relieved and so free and so at peace.  I did it and I would do it again if I felt the need to.  I conquered my fear and I feel so free because of it.  As we were being unstrapped, I looked up and saw my kids waving so hard at me, with smiles so big and I felt so proud.  I showed them that with Christ you can do all things. 

Of course we had to buy the picture.  This is a picture of a picture so it is not very good quality but at least you can see me screaming.  Oh and I never opened my eyes once.  LOL.

I am so incredibly thankful for all the support that I do have.  These girls are awesome and have helped me through so much.

After the rollercoaster, Matt took the kids and went to the playpark; while the girls and I went out for dinner at Tony Romas.


No comments:

Post a Comment