Thursday 21 June 2012

Kindergarten Orientation

This evening was Alyssa's Kindergarten Orientation at her new school.  As we walked through the parking lot into her school, I have never been more aware of her little hand inside mine, as I was today.  The way her little hand fits just perfectly inside mine.  Her smooth skin and delicate bones.  So perfect a fit.  My little girl is growing up though, and soon she won't need the security that holding hands brings. 

But, today she did need that security.  She was so excited yet I could tell a little nervous.  As we got closer to the front door she moved a little closer to my side and held my hand a little tighter. 

I was actually pretty surprised by her nervousness.  She has always been such a social little girl that I thought she would jump right in.  Instead though, she kept a tight hold on my hand while she led me through the different centres that Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Cox had set up. 


After we went through all the centre's she wanted to explore the library, the bathroom (she must be my daughter), and even asked Ms. Gordie (the principal) to see her office.  Her grip on my hand started to loosen a little bit as she was gaining more and more confidence. 

She led me back into her classroom and we were working on another worksheet when Mrs. Allen rang the bell and told the children that it was time to leave their mom and dad's and come upstairs for story and music time.  She hopped right up and without any trepidation started lining up with her classmates.  A little wave back at me, and she was off.  She was ready for Kindergarten. 

I sat back, with tears in my eyes as my baby girl once again became a big girl right in front of my eyes. 

After story and music time, we headed back out to the van where she told me that most of her nervousness has gone away and that she is ready to start school after summer. 

I took her to Dairy Queen for a celebratory treat and we had some mommy/daughter time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment